Can't decide on your next set of adventure apparel? We take a look at the new Alpinestars Bogota Drystar riding gear.
Alpinestars is one of the biggest names in motorcycle protection. Top level racers, every day riders, and even the Stig rock their gear. That following is well deserved—particularly when you look at their latest offering: the Bogota Drystar.
Riding gear keeps getting better and better by providing more features, more weather protection, and well... more money. The Bogota works at keeping the features and protection up to par while dropping at a lower price point in the market. This often means cutting corners to get to a specific dollar amount. In the case of the Bogota, we feel that Alpinestars did a great job of not skimping where you need and want quality, but unfortunately, you do lose some convenience for that lower price point.
READ MORE: Dainese D-Dry D-Stormer Jacket – Review
Alpinestars makes gear that tends to have very snug-fitting sizes. That means wide shoulders, slim waist, and shorter arm lengths than say your average American sizing. In recent years, they started addressing this, and offered a more relaxed fit. The Bogota DS is a beneficiary of that new relaxed fit. Don't get me wrong, it's still that Alpinestars stylish slim fit and cut (unlike some other gear that looks 12 sizes too large.)
That's me in the pictures. I'm 6' 1'' and 200 pounds, and both the jacket and pants are a size XL. According to Alpinestars, that equates to a 38'' waist and a size 54 jacket. I must, say, these are pretty spot on for fitment. The pants are a size larger than my jeans, but that is so they can be worn over pants.
READ MORE: 6 Concept Motorcycles We Wish We Could Ride
They say "4 season comfort," but we say it's closer to three.
From fall to spring, this setup is great. With less vents than its big brothers, it does stay a bit too warm for all summer use. On the plus side, the reduced venting works wonders when it is cold or wet, and vents are usually considered the weak points when waterproofing or wind proofing any gear. The Alpinestars Bogota gear does use a multi-layer system to make it waterproof and ready for the cold: There is a water barrier and a thermal liner that extends all the way to the wrists. The material is soft and comfortable, and the liner works well enough that when I left a vent open in sub 30-degree weather, I didn't realize it until I was off the bike.
Price and Details
- Multi-material construction with a highly abrasion and tear resistant poly-fabric main shell and multi-panel mesh lining for comfort and durability.
- Removable and interchangeable waterproof and breathable DRYSTAR® full liner with taped seams to ensure long term water-repelling performance.
- Long sleeve thermal liner (100g on body, 80g on sleeves) ensures jacket versatility and comfort in cold and hot conditions and can be fully removed with easy identification red zippers and integrated stretch comfort edge.
- Removable CE-certified shoulder and elbow protection for superb impact protection.
- Chest and back pad compartments with PE padding (Alpinestars Bionic chest pads and Back Armor available as accessory upgrade).
- Anatomical, pre-curved sleeve design incorporate Velcro® volume control adjustment straps for improved comfort, precision adjustment of garment and to help keep elbow protections in place.
- Jet Ventilation System (JVS): strategically positioned zippered air intakes on torso with rear air exhaust vent on upper back for cooling performance on long rides.
- Climate Control System (CCS) on sleeves incorporates mesh gussets and zipper closures for improved levels of ventilation control.
- Four external front pockets for convenient storage, including two waterproof pockets and two large cargo pockets, plus external large rear utility pocket. Internal pockets are waterproof and zippered for peace-of-mind closure.
- Collar construction incorporates comfort lining and features Velcro® closure and strap garage to allow collar to be securely kept in place while open.
- Fine-tuned fit afforded by D-ring waist adjustment for a secure, personalized fit while riding.
- Extended profile lower back for riding comfort for extra protection in the lumbar region.
- Reflective detailing on front and back improves rider visibility.
- Two internal waist connection zippers (on main shell and on DRYSTAR membrane) for attachment to Alpinestars riding pants.
- Premium YKK zips used throughout.
Read about how the author tests gear.