Ready for 2019 after a record-breaking season
The 2018 season has ended on a high note and the AFT is already preparing the next one with 18 events lined up for 2019, including two new locations.
The current season has come to an end with the Meadowlands Mile event wrapping things up on October 6. Saying that the 2018 season was a successful one for the AFT is a bit of an understatement: the flat track racing series announced sky-rocketing viewership numbers last week, a 38-percent increase over the 2017 season, setting a new record.
Between events attendees and home viewers, the AFT reached over 3M people, the biggest audience ever recorded for the series. Two races have yet to air (and re-air) on NBCSN, the AFT’s main channel, which means the numbers could still increase before the season is officially over.
The new AFT season will kickstart on March 14, 2019 at the Daytona TT and wrap up at the Meadowlands Mile once more—the date of that last event has yet to be confirmed. The new calendar features two new events at the Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park in Arizona and at the Laconia Short Track in New Hampshire. The series is also making a comeback to Southern California at the Perris Auto Speedway on May 11. Its last visit to the SoCal track was in 2017.
“We are delighted to be restoring the series to Southern California and taking American Flat Track to New England next summer, two traditional hotbeds of professional motorcycle racing,” wrote AFT CEO Michael Lock.
The next season will also provide racers with a wide variety of tracks, including TTs, short tracks, half-mile, and mile-long tracks.
Here is the American Flat Track provisional agenda for 2019:
- March 14: Daytona TT – Daytona International Speedway, Daytona Beach, FL
- March 23: Atlanta Short Track – Dixie Speedway, Woodstock, GA
- April 20: Texas Half-Mile – Texas Motor Speedway, Fort Worth, TX
- April 27: Wild Horse TT – Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park, Chandler, AZ
- May 11: Perris Half-Mile – Perris Auto Speedway, Perris, CA
- May 18: Sacramento Mile – Cal Expo, Sacramento, CA
- May 26: Springfield Mile I – Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, IL (AFT Singles Springfield TT same weekend)
- June 1: Red Mile – Red Mile, Lexington, KY
- June 15: Laconia Short Track – TBA, New Hampshire
- June 29: Lima Half-Mile – Allen County Fairgrounds, Lima, OH
- July 6: New York Short Track – Weedsport Speedway, Weedsport, NY
- August 4: Buffalo Chip TT – Buffalo Chip, Sturgis, SD
- August 6: Black Hills Half-Mile – Black Hills Speedway, Rapid City, SD
- August 17: Peoria TT – Peoria Motorcycle Club, Peoria, IL
- September 1: Springfield Mile II – Illinois State Fairgrounds, Springfield, IL (AFT Singles Springfield Short Track same weekend)
- September 7: Williams Grove Half-Mile – Williams Grove Speedway, Mechanicsburg, PA
- September 21: Minnesota Mile – Canterbury Park, Shakopee, MN
- TBA: Meadowlands Mile – Meadowlands Racing & Entertainment, East Rutherford, NJ
Source: American Flat Track