Police in Liverpool, England, have released CCTV footage of a wild, seven mile, high-speed motorcycle chase that occurred in the Summer of 2017. Following the trial of one 19-year-old Jack Higgins of Waresley Crescent, Walton—one of three riders (not including Higgins’ pillion passenger) who lead police on a 90mph pursuit through the streets of North Liverpool—Judge David Aubrey, QC delivered a message to the teen, conveying the seriousness of his actions and the gravity of the potential consequences of his dangerous behavior.

“Lives can change forever, mothers and fathers can and have lost their loved ones by that which you were doing on this night in question,” stated Judge Aubrey. “There could have been a knock at your mother and father’s door, or that of your passenger or in principle any of the pack you were in. When is it that young males will learn that they are potentially risking life and limb not just to themselves but to others. It has to be brought home to you and others that such animal behavior can not and will not be tolerated.”

The incident started in the early hours of August 16, 2017 when, around 01:00, PC Kyle Sayers heard the distinct scream of motorcycles being pushed beyond legal speeds on city streets. Sayers then spotted a trio of bikes, one of which was riding two up. The officer recalled how the pack of riders displayed generally reckless behavior throughout the pursuit, pulling wheelies, doing more than double the speed limit on 40 mile per hour roads, and even riding on the wrong side of the street at times. Eventually speeds become even greater at which point PC Sayers opted to call off the chase, worried the pursuit was only exacerbating an already dangerous situation.

Seemingly moments after PC Sayers called off the chase, one PC Gareth Berry took over, tailing the hooligans for the remainder of the seven mile pursuit, right up until Higgins lost control of the 600cc Yamaha—which later inquiries would reveal was stolen—he and his passenger were riding, resulting in a nasty crash. PC Berry said when he came onto the scene of the wreck, he observed the pillion passenger “writhing in pain” due to what the officer called an “obviously broken leg.” Higgins, who was piloting the Yamaha, was taken into custody shortly after he was found hiding nearby under a parked car.

In court, Higgins was defended by Frances Hertzog, who tried to argue that her client was a good kid, despite his recent brush with law enforcement—which she argued was motivated by a “pack mentality” and that her client only ran from police because he panicked. “This offense represents a significant fall from grace for a young man who is ordinarily a hard working, caring member of his community,” stated Hertzog.

For Higgins’ August 16 joy ride, the 19-year-old has reportedly been sentenced to a year in prison (suspended for 18 months), as well as 250 hours of community service/unpaid work, and a court order requiring him to stay indoors between 8PM and 6AM for four months. Higgins has also been banned from riding on public roads for a full two years and is required to complete 20 rehabilitation activity days with the Probation Service.

Source: Liverpool Echo

Got a tip for us? Email: tips@rideapart.com