If you’ve only heard about the company’s auto insurance, you might be wondering, does Farmers have motorcycle insurance? Yes, Farmers motorcycle insurance is available to riders across the United States.
In this review, we’ll take a look at Farmers motorcycle insurance rates as well as the company’s policy offerings, customer reviews, and reputation within the industry. We’ve reviewed the best motorcycle insurance companies using the same rating criteria, and you can compare quotes from leading providers in your area with our free tool below.
In this article:
- Farmers Insurance Company Overview
- Farmers Motorcycle Insurance Coverage
- Farmers Motorcycle Insurance Cost
- Farmers Motorcycle Insurance Reviews
- Our Take On Farmers Motorcycle Insurance: 4.0 Stars
- Our Recommendations For Motorcycle Insurance
Farmers Insurance Company Overview
Farmers Insurance Group has a history that dates back to 1928. Today, it’s the seventh-largest auto insurance provider in the U.S., according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). The group includes subsidiaries like Foremost Insurance and 21st Century Insurance.
Farmers is a household name in the insurance industry for its long-held positive reputation and reliable coverage. Currently, Farmers Insurance has an A+ rating with accreditation from the Better Business Bureau (BBB). The company offers insurance products like car insurance, homeowners insurance, life insurance, and more.
Many riders appreciate Farmers’ motorcycle insurance coverage. Most insurers can cover up to $30,000 in custom parts, but Farmers offers plans that can cover well beyond that. Also, its Elite plan can pay for a new replacement motorcycle if yours is under five years old when it's totaled. Most other providers only offer this option for up to two or three years.
|Farmers Motorcycle Insurance Pros||Farmers Motorcycle Insurance Cons|
|Good financial strength ratings||Mixed customer reviews|
|Long-standing company history|
|Customizable insurance coverage|
Farmers Motorcycle Insurance Coverage
Farmers motorcycle insurance policies can include all standard coverage options, like:
- Liability: Most states require a minimum amount of liability coverage, which covers bodily injury and property damage for other people in accidents you cause.
- Collision: This option covers damage to your own bike after an accident.
- Comprehensive: This coverage repairs your bike after non-collision damage, like hail damage or vandalism.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist: This insurance covers your bike repairs and medical expenses if you’re in an accident with a driver who does not have enough insurance to cover your expenses.
- Medical payments (MedPay): This coverage pays for medical costs after an accident and can cover your health insurance deductible.
Additionally, Farmers offers a few extras that riders can choose from:
- Roadside assistance: This option can cover towing, spare tire changes, and jump-starts. Farmers also offers trip interruption coverage.
- Optional equipment coverage: Standard plans can cover up to $15,000 in custom and optional equipment.
- Safety apparel coverage: This option covers your helmet, jacket, and other safety apparel or equipment.
- Total loss replacement cost: Farmers can pay to replace your bike with a new model if your bike is less than five years old under the Elite plan (two years for the Plus plan).
- Trailer coverage: This option covers repairs to your motorcycle-transport trailer up to $7,500.
If you don’t want to build your own Farmers motorcycle insurance policy, the company offers a few packages you can add to your base coverage:
- Elite: Includes $2,500 safety apparel coverage, $5,000 optional equipment coverage, $2,000 personal effects coverage, and total loss settlement for five years based on new motorcycle value
- Plus: Includes $1,500 safety apparel coverage, $3,500 optional equipment coverage, and total loss settlement for two years based on new motorcycle value
- Silver: Includes $500 safety apparel coverage and first accident forgiveness
Farmers Motorcycle Insurance Cost
How much is motorcycle insurance per month? It depends on your individual situation. For minimum coverage, you could pay between $5 and $20 per month for Farmers motorcycle insurance. For full coverage, you could pay between $50 and $320 per month or more.
The Farmers motorcycle insurance quotes you find will vary according to factors like your bike, your driving record, and your age. Here are some more details of what affects insurance prices:
- Age: If you’re a teen or under the age of 25, you’ll pay high rates.
- Driving history: Recent at-fault accidents and tickets raise your rates.
- Credit: In most states, having a good credit score can lower your rates.
- State conditions: Farmers motorcycle insurance quotes will be lower in states that have longer winters, which makes the riding season shorter.
- State requirements: State minimum coverage requirements vary, and that affects prices.
- Your motorcycle: A larger engine, more expensive bike, or sportier bike will cost more to insure.
- How you ride: Farmers motorcycle insurance quotes will be more expensive if you plan on riding your bike every day or for work.
Depending on your situation, you can find the following Farmers insurance discounts:
- Prior insurance
- Affinity group
- Preferred operator
- Renewal discount
- Safety course
- Airbag equipped
- Anti-lock brake equipped
Here are a few sample Farmers motorcycle insurance quotes we received:
|Type of Rider||Type of Motorcycle||Coverage Level||Farmers Motorcycle Insurance Annual Cost|
No accidents or tickets
in the past three years
At fault for an accident
in the past three years
Farmers Motorcycle Insurance Reviews
Farmers Insurance has mixed customer reviews. It has a 1.47 out of 5-star rating from customers on the BBB and a 3.5-star rating on Trustpilot. However, there are only a few reviews on each site, so this shouldn’t be taken as an indication of how all customers feel about the company.
Negative reviews say the claims process can be longer than expected, or that prices can rise without explanation. Positive reviews say agents provide great customer service. Here are a couple of example reviews:
“Great service, best rates around. I have shopped and I've shopped. No one can beat them. My Farmers agent goes above and beyond. I love that they call me every year to make sure that nothing has changed and check in. They also send birthday cards. So sweet, really a personal touch!”
- Kaleb H. via BBB
“After being pressured to take my truck to their preferred body shop, I'm still waiting and it's been five weeks. A repair that should have taken one week, 10 days at most, has dragged on for over a month with no end in sight.”
- Anthony A. via BBB
Our Take On Farmers Motorcycle Insurance: 4.0 Stars
We rate Farmers motorcycle insurance 4.0 stars overall. The company has a solid reputation and good financial ratings. It has mixed customer reviews, but the number of reviews is small compared to the number of riders that choose Farmers. At the end of the day, many riders can find good coverage options with this company.
Our Recommendations For Motorcycle Insurance
The best way to find the right motorcycle insurance coverage is to compare quotes from multiple providers. Different companies weigh aspects of your rider profile differently, so don’t assume you won’t find a lower price if the first place you look seems expensive. You can use our free tool below to compare motorcycle insurance quotes from top companies in your area, or read on to learn more about two of our highest-rated recommendations.
Geico: Best Overall
After reviewing quotes from multiple providers, we found that Geico motorcycle insurance was the cheapest option overall. We also recommend Geico as the best overall provider considering its combination of coverage options, good customer service, and strong reputation.
Geico offers the standard motorcycle insurance options plus coverage for safety equipment, accessories, and roadside assistance, and the sky's the limit when it comes to setting coverage amounts. Geico also has an A+ rating from the BBB and an A++ financial strength rating from AM Best.
State Farm: Best Local Agents
If you’d rather have a local agent help you with deciding what type of coverage to get, then State Farm motorcycle insurance is a great option. When you work with an agent, they can make sure you choose the right coverage and get all the discounts that are available to you.
State Farm offers a good range of motorcycle insurance coverage that can include sidecars and safety equipment. Since it focuses on using local agents, State Farm is known for smooth insurance claims and personalized service.