With Foremost motorcycle insurance, riders have a good range of insurance products to choose from, including coverage for safety equipment and custom parts. To give you a better understanding of the provider, we’ll cover Foremost motorcycle insurance rates, customer reviews, the coverage offered, and the company’s reputation here.
We’ve also reviewed a number of the best motorcycle insurance providers looking at the same categories. Costs can vary widely depending on your situation, so it’s a good idea to compare multiple quotes from different providers. You can compare free quotes from top companies in your area using the tool below.
In this article:
- Foremost Insurance Group Company Overview
- Foremost Motorcycle Insurance Coverage
- Foremost Motorcycle Insurance Cost
- Foremost Motorcycle Insurance Reviews
- Our Take On Foremost Motorcycle Insurance: 4.0 Stars
- Our Recommendations For Motorcycle Insurance
Foremost Insurance Group Company Overview
Foremost Insurance Group was founded in 1952. It’s a relatively small insurer, but it’s also part of the Farmers Insurance Group, which has an ‘A’ financial strength rating from AM Best. Since it’s part of a large auto insurance group, you can be confident that Foremost is able to meet its claims obligations. Foremost is the provider for the AARP motorcycle insurance program as well.
So, is Foremost Insurance a good company? Overall, it offers solid coverage options, and the majority of riders have a positive experience. The company offers insurance policies for motorcycles, cars, homes, boats, off-road vehicles, recreational vehicles, and more. Coverage is available in every state except Hawaii and Massachusetts. Specifically, Foremost motorcycle insurance can cover:
- Standard, sport, and touring bikes
- Scooters and trikes
- Vintage and custom bikes
- Low-speed or neighborhood bikes
According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), Foremost receives somewhat higher-than-average complaints for the insurance industry. Since it’s part of Farmers Insurance, ratings on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) for Foremost motorcycle insurance are combined with its parent company. The Farmers Group has an A+ rating from the BBB, but it has a 1.48 out of 5-star rating from customer reviews.
|Foremost Motorcycle Insurance Pros||Foremost Motorcycle Insurance Cons|
|High industry ratings||Above-average number of customer complaints|
|Coverage for safety equipment and original equipment (OE) parts|
|Wide range of discounts|
Foremost Motorcycle Insurance Coverage
With Foremost motorcycle insurance, riders can choose their own limits for standard coverage options, including:
- Liability: This insurance covers damages to other people and vehicles after accidents you cause. It’s the minimum coverage required in many states.
- Collision: This option covers your bike from accident damage.
- Comprehensive: This option covers your bike from other types of damage, like environmental damage, vandalism, and theft.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist: This option covers your bike repairs and medical bills if someone without enough insurance causes an accident.
- Medical payments coverage (MedPay): This coverage pays medical bills and can cover your health insurance deductible, no matter who is at fault for an accident.
Besides standard coverage options, riders can get a few extras with Foremost motorcycle insurance:
- Roadside assistance: Drivers can get towing and roadside assistance with trip interruption coverage to make breakdowns less of a hassle.
- Optional equipment coverage: Standard plans have a $15,000 limit on optional equipment coverage. If you need more than that, you can get a Custom or Custom Elite plan, which offers $30,000 or more in optional equipment coverage.
- Safety equipment coverage: This coverage replaces your helmet and other safety equipment.
- Replacement cost: With this option, Foremost will pay to replace your bike with a new model in the case of a loss. This applies to bikes purchased new that are less than five years old.
- Trailer coverage: This option can cover your motorcycle-transport trailer up to $7,500.
Foremost conveniently offers three main insurance packages, though you can customize your own coverage if you wish. The three packages are:
- Elite: This plan includes $5,000 for optional equipment, $2,000 for personal effects, $2,500 for helmet and safety apparel, roadside assistance, and more.
- Plus: This plan includes $3,500 for optional equipment, $1,500 for helmet and safety apparel, roadside assistance, and more.
- Saver: This plan includes $500 for safety apparel coverage and first accident forgiveness.
There are also packages just for liability insurance, vintage vehicles, and low-speed vehicles, which you may be eligible for.
Foremost Motorcycle Insurance Cost
A wide range of factors influences Foremost motorcycle insurance quotes. These include your risk level, your bike, demographics, and geographic factors. Here are some examples.
- Age: If you are under the age of 25, you’ll pay more.
- Experience: People with more riding experience can find discounts.
- Driving history: Foremost motorcycle insurance quotes depend heavily on whether or not you have recent at-fault accidents and tickets.
- Credit score: In most states, Foremost uses credit-based insurance scoring to assess risk. A higher score means lower risk, and vice versa.
- Geographic conditions: Riders pay more on average in states that have long riding seasons. Up in the colder north, Foremost motorcycle insurance quotes will be a bit cheaper.
- Coverage requirements: All states require a minimum amount of liability coverage. Minimums can vary, and that will affect the price.
- Your bike: Foremost motorcycle insurance rates will be higher for sport bikes, large engines, bikes with low safety ratings, and bikes with high values like custom or vintage motorcycles. The rate of theft for your bike also influences coverage costs.
- How you ride: If you garage your bike for most of the year and only ride for pleasure, you’ll pay less than someone who uses their bike for work or daily commuting.
Foremost also offers a few discounts you may qualify for:
- Multi-bike discount
- Multi-policy discount
- Preferred operator discount
- Motorcycle safety course discount
- Prior motorcycle insurance discount
- Renewal discount
- Anti-lock brake discount
- Additional discounts through the AARP
To get more clarification on how much motorcycle insurance is from Foremost, we reached out to the company for quotes. See the quotes we received below, and keep in mind that you may find very different prices based on your riding profile and location.
|Type of Rider||Type of Motorcycle||Coverage Level||Foremost Motorcycle Insurance Annual Cost|
No accidents or tickets
in the past three years
At fault for an accident
in the past three years
Foremost Motorcycle Insurance Reviews
The Farmers Insurance Group, which includes Foremost, has a 1.48 out of 5-star rating from customer reviews on the BBB. However, this is based on the opinion of just over 100 customers, so it should be taken with a grain of salt. Reviews that mention Foremost insurance specifically are mixed. Some reviewers report having a great experience with their agent, while others say the opposite.
Here’s an example of what one customer has to say about Foremost motorcycle insurance:
“I've had my motorcycle insurance for the last three years at Foremost, and today I popped a tire so I called to have a tow. Foremost said the truck was dispatched at 6:30 p.m. and now it's almost 9:50 p.m. and I have yet to see the truck show up.”
- Josh R. via BBB
Keep in mind that there are many more Foremost motorcycle insurance customers who haven’t reviewed the company on the BBB, so the low rating isn’t necessarily representative of all customers.
Our Take On Foremost Motorcycle Insurance: 4.0 Stars
Overall, we rate Foremost motorcycle insurance 4.0 stars. Most riders can find the coverage they need from Foremost, and it can be an especially convenient option for AARP members who qualify for additional ratings. Since Foremost is backed by Farmers, it’s a strong provider. We recommend reaching out for a quote.
Our Recommendations For Motorcycle Insurance
If you’re on the hunt for cheap motorcycle insurance coverage, it’s always a good idea to get quotes from multiple providers. You can compare quotes from companies like Foremost with our free tool below.
Geico: Best Overall
Considering factors like cost, coverage, customer reviews, and reputation, we rate Geico motorcycle insurance the best option overall. After comparing multiple quotes, we also found that Geico offers the cheapest motorcycle insurance policies for riders in most states.
The insurance agency has a good range of motorcycle insurance coverage, including coverage for accessories and safety equipment. Geico has an A++ financial rating and an A+ rating with accreditation from the BBB.
Progressive: Best for High-Risk Riders
Progressive motorcycle insurance is another great option for riders. It’s usually one of the cheapest options for high-risk riders who have a recent at-fault accident or ticket on record. Depending on the state, Progressive can also be a very affordable option. For example, we found Progressive to be one of the cheapest providers in Michigan.
Progressive is known for its wide range of motorcycle insurance options, which include coverage for personal belongings, OE parts, and custom equipment. Progressive has an A+ financial strength rating and an A- rating from the BBB.