From cruisers to vintage motorcycles, Progressive motorcycle insurance covers many types of vehicles. The company is one of the largest insurers in the United States and claims to be No. 1 among motorcycle insurance providers, but what do customers have to say about coverage?
In this article, our team takes a closer look at Progressive motorcycle insurance reviews, pricing, and more to help you decide if this provider is the right choice for you. To go ahead and start comparing plans, enter your zip code below to get free quotes from the industry’s best motorcycle insurance providers.
In this article:
- Progressive Company Overview
- Progressive Motorcycle Insurance Coverage
- How Much Does Progressive Motorcycle Insurance Cost?
- Reviews And Ratings For Progressive
- Our Take On Progressive Motorcycle Insurance: 4.5 Stars
- Top Recommendations For Motorcycle Insurance
Progressive Company Overview
Progressive is one of the most well-known insurance providers in the country. Founded in 1937, the insurer has grown to be the 99th largest U.S. corporation by total revenue according to Fortune magazine. Progressive motorcycle insurance is available in every state. Along with motorcycle coverage, you can get insurance products for your home, car, RV, and more.
Progressive Motorcycle Insurance Coverage
Progressive offers a range of coverage, from minimum liability to policies that will cover the full replacement value of your bike, with no depreciation for parts. Policy limits and exact coverage will vary depending on your contract, but some plans can provide limits up to $1 million.
With Progressive, you can get standard motorcycle insurance, including:
- Bodily injury and property damage liability: Pays for medical bills and damages for the other parties if you cause an accident
- Collision: Pays to repair or replace your bike if it is damaged in any accident, regardless of fault
- Comprehensive: Pays to repair or replace your bike if it is stolen, vandalized, damaged in a fire, or damaged in a collision with an animal
- Medical payments: Pays for you and your passengers' medical bills after an accident, regardless of fault
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist: Pays for your medical bills, damages to your motorcycle, and lost wages if you are in a collision with an uninsured or underinsured motorist
If you’re looking for more coverage, you can also get a Progressive motorcycle insurance policy with these add-ons:
- Roadside assistance: If your bike needs roadside services or a tow to the nearest repair shop, this will cover applicable expenses.
- Trip interruption coverage: This provides a $500 reimbursement for meals and lodging expenses if you're in an accident far from your home.
- Total loss coverage: For motorcycles no more than one model year old, this pays to replace your bike in the event of a total loss.
- Accessory coverage: This type of Progressive motorcycle insurance pays for damage to custom parts, equipment, and accessories. (Accessory coverage up to $3,000 is included with all comprehensive and collision insurance plans, but additional coverage up to $30,000 is available.)
- Carried Contents®: This may replace personal belongings if your bike is damaged in an accident.
- Enhanced injury protection: If you are injured in an accident and unable to work, you can get $250 per week for up to 2 years.
- Death benefit: If you are killed in an accident, this will pay out $25,000 to a named beneficiary.
How Much Does Progressive Motorcycle Insurance Cost?
The cost of Progressive motorcycle insurance varies for each motorcyclist and bike. Progressive advertises rates as low as $75 per year, but these are for drivers with a clean accident history purchasing the minimum coverage for a standard motorcycle. For other riders, motorcycles, and coverage levels, we received sample quotes up to $5,000 per year.
The factors that impact the final cost of your policy include:
- Driving history
- Credit score
- Motorcycle type
- Vehicle use
So, on average, how much is motorcycle insurance from Progressive? To get more clarity, we reached out to the company for a number of Progressive motorcycle insurance quotes.
|Type of Rider||Type of Motorcycle||Coverage Level||Progressive Motorcycle Insurance Annual Cost|
No accidents or tickets
in the past three years
At fault for an accident
in the past three years
Compared to other providers our team has reviewed, Progressive offers full coverage motorcycle insurance policies at relatively low rates.
Progressive Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
The quotes you see above don’t take into account any discounts, and Progressive has a wide selection. Here are the discounts you could qualify for when purchasing a Progressive motorcycle insurance policy:
- Multi-policy discount
- Homeowner discount
- Pay-on-time discount
- Pay-in-full discount
- Automatic billing discount
- Responsible driver discount (no violations within the past three years)
- Savings for customers who purchase coverage within one day of receiving a quote
- Savings for members of the Harley Owners Group or USAA
- Savings for drivers with a motorcycle license or motorcycle license endorsement
- Safety course discount
- Discount for switching from another provider
Although not discounts, there are a few other ways to reduce costs with Progressive. If you’re considering a policy, these benefits may apply:
- Small accident forgiveness: Your rate won’t increase for claims that are $500 or less.
- Large accident forgiveness: Your rate won’t increase after an accident if you have been a Progressive customer for at least four years and have been accident-free for at least three years.
- Disappearing deductible: Your deductible will decrease by 25 percent for every claim-free period on your policy. Your total deductible can be reduced to $0.
Reviews And Ratings For Progressive
Progressive has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), indicating good business practices and responses to customer complaints. It also holds an A+ financial strength rating from AM Best. However, like most insurance companies, there is a mix of positive and negative customer reviews.
Satisfied Progressive motorcycle insurance policyholders report fast and reliable claims servicing. On the other hand, some customers have complained about lowball settlement offers and sales representatives providing misleading or inaccurate policy information. One positive review stated:
“My parked car was hit by a hit-and-run driver. A person who witnessed the accident got the license plate of the fleeing vehicle. They had Progressive insurance, and the agent came to my house, looked over the damage, and wrote me out a check on the spot.” - BBB
Progressive has received over 2,500 customer complaints through the BBB in the past 3 years. This number is relatively low given that Progressive administers millions of policies each year.
In the J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction StudySM, Progressive scored in the middle of the pack of popular insurance providers in just about every regional survey. For example, the company received 848 points out of a possible 1,000 for the Southeast region. This is just below the average for all companies studied, which was 849.
Despite mixed reviews, Progressive is a reliable company with a strong national reputation.
Our Take On Progressive Motorcycle Insurance: 4.5 Stars
Progressive motorcycle insurance policies are comprehensive and offered at competitive prices. While the company does not have outstanding customer satisfaction scores, many customers are satisfied with their Progressive insurance policies.
Progressive is certainly a provider worth considering if you are shopping for low-cost motorcycle insurance. It offers high maximum coverage limits and has some of the industry’s best rates for quality motorcycle coverage.
Top Recommendations For Motorcycle Insurance
Because the cost of motorcycle insurance varies depending on a large number of factors, there is no single best provider for everyone. It’s always a good idea to compare coverage and check quotes from multiple sources. Along with Progressive motorcycle insurance, we recommend coverage from Geico and State Farm.
Get free quotes from top-rated motorcycle insurance companies in your area by entering your zip code below.
Geico: 4.5 Stars
Like Progressive, Geico motorcycle insurance has high coverage limits (up to $1 million). Geico also generally offers the lowest rates for minimum coverage policies according to our secret shopper analysis. In addition to standard coverage, motorcycle riders can add coverage for:
- Accessories: Pays to repair or replace motorcycle accessories that may be damaged in an accident, including items like a non-stock sidecar, trike conversion kit, seats and saddlebags, and electronic equipment
- Helmets: Covers the replacement cost for expensive helmets damaged in an accident
State Farm: 4.5 Stars
State Farm motorcycle insurance covers many types of bikes, from factory-built motorcycles to custom motorcycles to sport bikes. Policy prices take into account riding seasons, offering lower rates for riders who need to store their bikes for a large part of the year.
In addition to basic liability, collision, and other standard coverage options, State Farm customers can purchase protection for sidecars and protective gear. Plans can also include emergency roadside expenses and trip interruption reimbursement.