H-D Heads to Sturgis for the 77th annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.
Harley is getting ready to celebrate the 77th annual Sturgis rally in Sturgis, South Dakota.
“The sound of freedom will rumble through the Black Hills when thousands of motorcyclists join Harley-Davidson, the official motorcycle of the largest motorcycle rally in the United States, at the 77th Sturgis Motorcycle Rally August 5-12,” said the Motor Company in a recent press release.
Harley-Davidson headquarters is the Sturgis Community Center on Lazelle Street, with the H-D Rally Point on Main Street. Scheduled events include music, parties, free demo rides on new 2017 Harley-Davidson motorcycles®, H.O.G.® member special events, the electrifying Wall of Death, and Harley-Davidson-sponsored American Flat Track racing at Black Hills Speedway in Rapid City. Opening Ceremonies and Kick-off Party for the Rally take place on Friday, August 4, at 3:30 p.m.
“The great riding, the motorcycle tradition, and the wide-open fun – That’s what makes Sturgis ‘Sturgis,’” said James Newton, Harley-Davidson U.S. Events Manager. “And, this year is even bigger and better. We invite all riders to roll into Harley Headquarters to take a demo ride, see the latest gear and accessories, and meet up with Harley-Davidson riders from around the world.”
In addition to the parties and rides, there are a number of military and veteran-focused events happening this year. Adam Sandoval of ScootinAmerica is scheduled to stop into Sturgis on his ride across the country to thank all who have served our country in the military and raise funds for Wounded Warrior Project. Then Adam and Bill Davidson plan to surprise a deserving member of the military with a brand new Harley. WWP National Service Director John Roberts and Warriors Speak Spokesperson Deven Schei – who was an Army combat engineer in Afghanistan when his unit was ambushed – will share their stories.
Schedule of Events:
- Tattoo Contest: Show off and see some amazing ink Tuesday, August 8 at this event sponsored by the City of Sturgis. Registration begins at 5 p.m. For information go to the City of Sturgis website.*
- Mayor’s Pub Crawl: On Tuesday, August 8, starting at 7 p.m., come out and tour the most iconic pubs in downtown Sturgis.*
- Beard & Mustache Contest: Witness the best facial hair in all of the Black Hills Wednesday, August 9 at 5 p.m. For information go to the City of Sturgis website.*
- Police Bike Giveaway: Tickets go on sale Thursday, August 3 at Rally Headquarters and Harley-Davidson Rally Point for a drawing at noon on Saturday, August 13, on the Harley-Davidson Rally Point Stage. The City of Sturgis is the sponsor.**
- Jack Daniel’s Presents the 15th Annual Sturgis Mayor’s Ride: Kickstands up at 9 a.m. Tuesday, August 8; Join Sturgis Mayor Mark Carstensen along with the Rally Grand Marshall Jessi Combs and special guest Mayor Jody Reinisch, leader of the effort to make Ryder, N.D. the first-ever fully motorcycle licensed town in America. To register, visit the City of Sturgis website.*
- MDA Raffle: The Grand Prize bike drawing for this charity raffle will be at approximately 4 p.m. on August 12 at Rally Point. MDA is the sponsor.**
- Free Motorcycle Demo Rides: See and ride the full line of 2017 Harley-Davidson models including the new Street Rod and the new Road King Special and other Touring models. The demo fleet also includes the nimble Harley-Davidson Roadster model. Demo registration closes at 4:00 pm daily.
- Milwaukee-Eight Display Truck: Experience the all-new Milwaukee-Eight engine through engaging technical displays and hands-on experiences.
- See It. Try It. Buy It: Demo new Harley-Davidson helmets and riding gear when you demo-ride a bike. A selection of new Genuine MotorClothes will be available for purchase on site, including Willie G. and H.O.G.® Commemorative Merchandise and H-D Originals, from the H-D Museum collection.
- Riding Academy/JUMPSTART: Learn more about the Harley-Davidson Riding Academy program. Then feel the rumble of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle on the Harley-Davidson® JUMPSTART™ Rider Experience
- Enjoy Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum Cocktails: The Knuckle bar, which will be open from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily at the Sturgis Community Center, will feature a selection of Sailor Jerry cocktails along with an interactive Norman “Sailor Jerry” Collins Garage Bar pop-up experience. Sailor Jerry is the official spiced rum of Harley-Davidson.
- H.O.G.® Members Only Hospitality: Pick up an exclusive H.O.G. Sturgis event pin and commemorative Sturgis T-shirts, and enjoy daily refreshments from 1-3 p.m.
- Harley-Davidson Museum®: The H-D Museum will bring a slice of history and heritage to the Sturgis Community Center. Check out the WLA photo op bike with vintage logo backdrop. The Museum Shop will be selling exclusive Willie G. and H-D Originals merchandise. Located in Milwaukee, the Harley-Davidson Museum welcomes riders on their way to and from Sturgis.
- Daily Police Skills Presentation: Watch the ultimate in precision police riding with a skills presentation daily at 10 a.m., 1 p.m., & 3 p.m.
- Wall of Death: Come experience a motorcycle stunt show featuring the spectacular Wall of Death. The show happens daily at 11 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 2 p.m. & 3:30 p.m.